Monday 1 January 2024

Planet Of The Apes Archive: Terror On The Planet Of The Apes (1974) Part 1

Terror on the Planet of the Apes was Marvel Comics' original storyline of apes and humans in a world they never made. The longest original story featured in Marvel's Planet of the Apes Magazine, Terror was entirely written by Doug Moench and drawn originally by Mike Ploog, Frank Chiaramonte, and then later by Tom Sutton, Herb Trimpe and Virgilio Redondo. Doug Moench remembered the origins of the saga: "Roy [Thomas] called me in and told me that Marvel had acquired the rights to Planet of the Apes. He said Gerry Conway was going to do it, but he had to drop out. He had written one page of notes. Roy gave it to me. It was a very loose thing, but it had the names Jason and Alexander; one human, one ape, they’re friends and they get into trouble. From that, I made them young. I wanted to make it an allegory on racism, which was implicit in the movies. And it seemed to me that kids are not as hung up on race... You know what I’m most proud of in there? They used all Latin names in the movies, but they didn’t think of Brutus. I used that for my evil gorilla leader. I thought that was great."

read more...

Terror was reissued by Malibu Graphics in 1991, and in 2017 formed the basis of BOOM! Studios' Planet Of The Apes Archive Vol 1 in 2017.
























































Come back tomorrow at 17:30 for Part 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment